This week, first week back at school and first week back at the gym at 5.00am! Even though we don’t really have seasons here in Zimbabwe, you can sense a change in the weather. My sons in the Northern Hemisphere are beginning to enjoy a rise in temperature and longer days. While here in the Southern Hemisphere, we are getting that early morning nip in the air. So I thought to celebrate I would show you my first quilt entry for the 2017 Zimbabwe Patchwork and Quilting Show. You’ve seen some of it before in a previous post.
The quilt is a mini quilt measuring 20″x 20″, it is called Happy Fall and is from an original design by Sugaridoo a Dutch designer who featured on Sew Mama Sew. I originally saw this quilt months ago, long before I had even entered the field of Foundation Paper Piecing. In fact it was the first pattern to pique my interest. I attempted to make one of the clouds and was completely lost. So I put it to one side determined that with a bit more experience I would attempt it again. As you know I have now done a few more bits of Foundation Paper Piecing so returned to the pattern with renewed confidence.
After these six squares I just had three more to make, two with wellington boots, and one more open umbrella.
Not everything went according to plan.
This small error was such a pain as I had to unpick two parts of the block to correct it.
The nine blocks are then joined together using 1″ wide sashing. I made raindrops using scraps of the cloud fabric and attached them to the quilt using Thermoweb. Then I quilted in wavy lines using a turquoise thread to pick out the cloud colours, and to match the back of the quilt.
I made a cute label for the quilt just by putting the fabric through my printer. I typed up the wording that I wanted on the label and positioned it so that it was central on a piece of A4 paper when printed. Then I cut a 5″x 5″ square and attached it using sticky tape by the four corners, directly over the printing on the paper. Then I fed the paper with fabric attached through the printer again. When the fabric came out of the printer, after the sticky tape had been removed, I pressed with a hot iron to sealed the ink. Then I made the square into a tube and stitched down the back (this will go on the inside of the label.
The quilt was then bound in a lovely soft java print that I had in my stash and which I also used to back the quilt.
Here’s the finished quilt. Perfectly reflecting the season changes.